Since ProgramPay, powered by Vestwell, supports Payroll Concierge services with your payroll provider, we can take a lot of work off your plate regarding the processing of your payroll files through automation (yay!). This guide will help you with set up steps as well as help you understand your specific responsibilities for the proper submission of payroll files. Even though we offer Concierge services with your payroll provider, Plan Sponsors have ongoing responsibilities to make sure the content is correct. Please read this whole article to understand the steps to setup Payroll Concierge services and to learn about your initial and ongoing responsibilities.
How do I initiate Payroll Concierge?
Note: To complete this step, you must be the Primary Admin on the Gusto account.
- Complete the linked form:Payroll Integration Request Form so our team can collect the necessary details to set up Payroll Concierge services.
- Navigate to Gusto's Help Center page, to Manage Administrator Permissions
- Follow the instructions under Add an administrator.
- Fill out the Following under Add new admin
- Employment Status: Not an Employee
- Who are They: Other Collaborator
- First Name: Payroll
- Last Name: Integrations
- Email: email@example.com
- Admin Type: Full Access Admin
- Setup the required payroll deduction codes, initialize employee deferral rates & any outstanding loans (See details below)
Once you have completed the above, our team will reach out to confirm everything is in good order.
Please allow 4 weeks for Payroll Concierge setup. You must grant the appropriate access and complete any other required setup 10 days prior to the first desired payroll date.
IMPORTANT*-If your plan is a conversion to Voya ABA RF there are other steps you must complete.
- Your plan’s deferral & loan data will not automatically transfer to the new deduction codes. You will be responsible for setting up your employees deferral details before Vestwell can successfully process your employee contributions & loan repayments.
- Ensure previous employee and employer contributions are cleared from your payroll system.
Are there any reasons why my plan might not be eligible for an integration?
In order for our Payroll Concierge team to know when to pull your payroll, you must have a recurring payroll schedule setup in both ProgramPay and your payroll system. Without that, we won't be able to setup this service for your plan.
There are some plan design and payroll system features that currently prohibit the use of our payroll concierge service, including:
- Plans which have multiple EINs
- Plans which have multiple log ins into their payroll system
- Plans which do not have an established recurring pay schedule setup in both ProgramPay and the payroll system
- Plans which do not use the same payroll provider for all pay group(s)
- Plans which have limitations preventing each paygroup from being integrated.
- Plans with per pay period non-mandatory employer contributions
Plans that allow after-tax contributions
- Note: After-Tax and Roth contributions are not the same
If your plan has been amended or if you are considering an amendment to your original plan documents, please inform your ABA Retirement Representative to understand what actions on your part will be required to submit and process your payroll files correctly.
How does Payroll Concierge work?
With this type of support, ProgramPay's team of payroll experts accesses your payroll system so we can transfer your payroll files and Plan-related data between ProgramPay and your payroll provider.
Why do I have to grant access to my payroll system for Payroll Concierge?
In order to provide our Payroll Concierge services, we need the ability to view and download information relating to your Plan. These activities require Administrator or Accountant-level permissions.
What are my responsibilities?
Our ability to setup Payroll Concierge Services and successfully process your payroll files on behalf of your plan depends on you! It is your responsibility to:
Payroll Deduction Codes
Set up and maintain certain payroll deduction codes within your payroll system. ProgramPay requires that these specific payroll codes be setup before Concierge Services can be enabled.
- Benefit Name: Pre-Tax 401k (Benefit Type: 401(k))
- Benefit Name: Roth 401k (Benefit Type: Roth 401(k))
- Set up and maintain certain payroll deduction codes within your payroll system. ProgramPay requires that these specific payroll codes be setup before Concierge Services can be enabled.
- If applicable to your plan, set up and maintain retirement loans within your payroll system
- Log into the Gusto portal
- Navigate to the employee to which a loan repayment should be added
- Scroll to the bottom of the employee’s Job & Pay tab and click +Add Garnishment or Custom Deduction
- Under Deduction Type, choose Garnishment
- Under Garnishment Type, choose Other Garnishment
- Under Description, type exactly Loan Repayment
- Use the following prompts on the Gusto website to accurately enter the loan repayment amount to be withheld.
- Click Save & Continue
- If applicable to your plan, set up and maintain retirement loans within your payroll system
- Initializing Deferral rates: You are responsible for ensuring that all employee deferral rates are set up in Gusto before the first payroll date supported through Payroll Concierge. Even if you have used Gusto for some time, please re-check the deferral rates are set properly for each participant before running the first payroll with Payroll Concierge services.
- Once Payroll Concierge services are active, you will no longer be able to edit pay groups in the ProgramPay portal as this can disrupt the processing of contributions. For further assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Employee Deferral Rate
- Initial employee deferral rates must be added directly in Gusto for each new employee.
Employee Deferral Updates
- Ongoing deferral changes shared directly with you, not using the Voya ParticipantWeb by eligible employees must be set by you directly in the payroll system.
- Please note: you are responsible for any deferral updates NOT processed through Participant Web.
Employee Status Changes - Payroll System
- Make updates in your payroll system when employees are hired, terminated, or re-hired, etc.
Employee Personal Information
- Maintain complete, accurate, and up-to-date personal information within your payroll system - including date of birth, social security number, and email address.
Pay Frequency/Schedule Changes
- Report any pay frequency or pay schedule changes to ProgramPay.
Review Payroll Data
- We rely on you to provide us with correct, updated, and complete data about your employees regardless of whether we receive that data directly from you or from your payroll provider. Regular audits and spot checks of the data provided to us will help you quickly identify and rectify any discrepancies.
Validation Errors on Payrolls
- From time to time, we may receive data from your payroll company that triggers a validation error in ProgramPay and we are unable to process one or more contributions or loan payments. When that happens, you will be alerted by email about the issue with instructions on next steps to resolve the issue. These alerts will be sent from "ProgramPay@notices.vestwell.com". Please adjust spam or other filters in your email system to allow you to receive these important communications. You can learn more about the contribution validations and the types of errors that can occur here.
Discretionary and/or Profit-Sharing Contributions
- Set up and maintain annual and/or quarterly non-mandatory company contributions within your payroll system and upload these contributions through your ProgramPay portal as an off-cycle contribution.
Mandatory Employer Contributions
- Set up and maintain mandatory employer contributions that are on a frequency other than on a per pay period basis and upload these contributions through your ProgramPay portal as an off-cycle contribution.
Per pay period Safe Harbor employer contribution
- Setup and maintain mandatory employer contributions that are on a pay period basis.
- Report any off-cycle payroll run through your payroll system to email@example.com. These will not be uploaded automatically through Payroll Concierge.
What payroll activities does ProgramPay handle for me?
Employee Deferral Updates/Changes made through ParticipantWeb
- Deferral rate changes made by employees directly in Voya ParticipantWeb will be updated automatically within 2 business days.
- NOTE: Ongoing deferral changes shared directly with you, not using the Voya Participant portal by eligible employees must be set by you directly in the payroll system.
- Remember, initial deferral rates must be setup by you directly in the payroll system, including those for employees who are auto-enrolled (if applicable to your plan)
Employee Status Changes - ProgramPay Portal
- When you add, rehire or terminate employees in your payroll system, the changes will be reflected in the ProgramPay portal one business day after the next pay date.
Processing Contributions & Loan Payments
- Process supported employee/employer contributions and applicable loan payments into your retirement plan based on what was processed in the payroll system. Even if you process your payroll early, ProgramPay will never process the contributions file before the actual pay date.
Will Gusto charge me any fees to set up and/or maintain Payroll Concierge?
Gusto may charge fees in conjunction with the integration. Please check with your Gusto representative for more specific details.
ProgramPay will not charge you to facilitate this integration.
How do I disconnect Payroll Concierge?
If you change payroll providers, terminate or deconvert your plan, it is your responsibility to inform us so that we can terminate the Payroll Concierge Service and assess whether integration with a different payroll provider is available. Please see this article and reach out to your Voya Representative for further assistance.